Inquiring Minds Want to Know: Is It Head Lice or Is It Something Else?
If you have never had an up-close-and-personal relationship with head lice, first of all, you are fortunate. Second, are you really certain that it is, in fact, head lice? For those of you who are new to the head lice experience, here are some things to remember…
- Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Other scalp residues may be due to conditions such as eczema or seborrhea. A louse is a sesame-seed-sized wingless insect; a bug with six legs. Varying in color from beige to gray, a louse moves on its own. Unlike dandruff or any other residue from a scalp condition, a louse crawls.
- A nit is a louse egg. It will be located on the hair shaft. A nit is attached to the hair shaft with a waterproof, glue-like substance. Unlike dandruff, “hair cast”, or any other residue from a scalp condition, an untreated nit will not slide along the hair shaft when tugged between fingertips. Nor will it simply just fall out of the hair and off of the head.
- Many conditions can cause the scalp to itch. When a louse bites the skin, the saliva causes an allergic reaction that causes itching. Unlike dandruff or any other residue from a scalp condition, it also causes the scalp to “tingle”.
- Dandruff flakes or other scalp residues will be removed easily when brushing or combing the hair. Nits, on the other hand, are not removed easily until after the hair is treated. A special fine-toothed comb is required.
- Nits are fairly symmetrical; dandruff and other scalp residues, not so much.
- Dandruff flakes, sand, and other scalp residues can be anywhere on the head. Initially, nits are located close to the warm scalp, moving only as the hair shaft grows.
If all of this information has you scratching your head and wondering what’s what, a call to the experts at Fresh Heads Lice Removal can go a long way toward easing your mind by giving you a correct and thorough assessment of your situation. We will send you home happy… no matter what!
Fresh Heads Lice Removal serves Jacksonville FL, Orlando FL, Savannah Ga, and surrounding areas. If you are interested in the AirAllé™ treatment and would like to find a Lice Clinics of America location near you, click below!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!