Itchy Scalp but No Lice? Here’s What It Might Be
You have the classic signs of lice, like an itchy scalp, but when you got checked there was no indication of an infestation. Now that’s definitely something to celebrate, but what else could be causing your irritation and itching? There are other skin conditions that mimic the symptoms of lice. Keep reading to find out what those might be.
What Conditions Mimic Head Lice?
1. Dermatitis: There are multiple types of dermatitis, like atopic, seborrheic, and allergic; that have similar side effects to lice. They all cause irritation and can cause the skin to turn red from itching. The itchiness can be severe and lead to flaking as well. Dermatitis could be the effect of an adverse reaction to hair products.
2. Tinea Capitis: This is a fungal infection that inflames the scalp. Symptoms include itchiness, redness, and dry areas on the scalp. It’s more common in children rather than adults.
3. Psoriasis: This is an autoimmune disease that can cause redness, irritation, and scaly areas on the scalp. Flare-ups can last days or months and pop up randomly.
4. Folliculitis: This is a skin condition that can cause inflamed hair follicles and cause redness, irritation, and itchiness.
5. Scabies: This is an infestation caused by a small bug, similar to lice. Although it usually doesn’t affect the scalp, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. They can cause small bumps that are extremely itchy.
6. Bed Bugs: Another mite could be the cause. Bed bugs are small like head lice and feed on blood. They do not live on the body but can cause welts that are painful and itchy. They’re less common on the scalp and more so around the face and neck areas.
7. Formication: This is a sense of insects crawling on the skin without physical presence.
There are many types of skin conditions that may feel similar to a lice infestation that can affect the scalp. We have a few common ones listed but there are many more.
We offer lice checks for just $10 and can let you know if your itchy scalp is being caused by lice. If you have lice, leave the treatment up to us. If it’s not lice and the itching persists, we recommend seeing a medical professional to get an accurate diagnosis to treat your itching. We are only prepared to diagnose and treat head lice.
Prevent Lice Infestations in Jacksonville, FL
A lice infestation is a real concern for many parents. Fortunately, you can keep this at bay by regularly checking for lice and if you have an infestation, you can seek help from your nearest lice clinic
Prevent lice infestations and be free from future outbreaks when you consult Fresh Heads Lice Removal. We are in Jacksonville, FL, helping families protect their homes from the stresses and health risks of having to deal with nits and lice. Book an appointment today!
Schools Without Lice
Our mission at Fresh Heads Lice Removal is to eradicate lice from schools across the US. We’re partnering with the Lice Clinics of America to create a Schools Without Lice program. Through this program, we provide school nurses and teachers with free resources, screenings, and treatments. If we work together, we can have schools without lice!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!