stop sign

Head Lice Do’s & Don’ts

Are you dealing with a case of head lice? The whole situation can be overwhelming, but it’s important to find an effective solution and tackle a head lice infestation quickly so that you and your family can get on with your lives!

With so much information out there, it’s hard to know what the best solution for getting rid of head lice is. A good treatment for head lice should effectively kill the lice and their nits without exposing your children to toxic pesticides and other chemicals. Here are some do’s and don’ts to follow if your family gets stuck with the pesky critters.

DO check everyone in the home for head lice. And when you’re done, re-check. Use a good nit comb that will separate strands of hair easily.

DO find an effective and safe head lice treatment, and call a professional treatment center like Fresh Heads. The commonly used pesticide treatments of the past are no longer very effective, and they can be harmful. There are many non-toxic, all natural products available to both prevent and treat head lice.

DO use dry heated air to treat lice. Head lice and their nits can’t survive in hot, dry air. The FDA-cleared AirAllé device uses this technology to safely, quickly and effectively kill head lice. Clothing and linens can be placed in a hot dryer for at least 20 minutes to kill lice and nits.

DO treat the entire house. Even if you don’t think other household members are infested, chances are they have been exposed. To reduce the risk of another outbreak, it is strongly suggested that all family members undergo treatment for head lice.

DO notify others who have been in contact with an infested person. This is an important step in cutting down on the spread of head lice.

DON’T panic. In order to keep your peace of mind, it’s important to try to stay calm. Head lice can cause a great deal of anxiety for children, so treating the situation calmly will help the entire family.

DON’T wait to treat head lice. Some parents may wait until their child is experiencing symptoms of head lice. The problem is that it can take several days for symptoms to appear, and then you already have an infestation that has probably spread throughout the home.

DON’T use chemical treatments containing ingredients such as Permethrin. These chemicals are extremely toxic, and most strains of head lice have become resistant to these treatments.

DON’T send a child with head lice to school. Most schools have a no-nit policy, and it’s important that they complete an effective treatment before returning to school. This will help cut down on the spread of head lice.

While a head lice infestation is a stressful thing to deal with, following these do’s and don’ts can help you keep your sanity! Call Fresh Heads Lice Treatment Centers to help you find the most safe and effective treatment plan for your family.